If you’re thinking of selling your home, here’s some helpful home-selling tips for 2022. Believe it or not, spring is right around the corner, and it can be a great time to have your home up on the market. There are many reasons why spring is traditionally “home-buying season.” Maybe it’s that a yard in-bloom boosts a home’s curb appeal? Maybe it’s the warmer weather that brings out more potential buyers to open houses? And more potential buyers in the market makes the season an enticing time for sellers as well. Here are 10 home-selling tips from our partners at HomeAdvantage® for getting the best price when selling your current home.
1. Beef up the curb appeal: How is your landscaping looking this spring? All those leaves raked up from last fall? How about the exterior paint? Are your windows shiny and clean? Does your house feel warm and inviting from the street? Cleaning up your exterior, whether it’s trimming the shrubs or simply pressure washing the walls, is critical to making a great first impression on buyers.
2. Create a grand entrance: In addition to the outside of your home, the first steps into your home are also very important. Is your entry or foyer inviting? Is it free of clutter? Is it well lit? Does it make a statement about the rest of your home? Clean up, pare down, and add some flowers. Those all say, “Welcome!” to home buyers.
3. Conquer clutter: No one wants to step over personal belongings or see your collection of knickknacks when they tour a home. Plus, extra clutter on the floor, tables, and shelves can make your rooms appear smaller and overused. Give potential buyers a clean slate so they can picture their own family in your home.
4. Evaluate your furniture: Worn, dirty furniture can give the impression that your house is tattered and in need of repairs. Consider having upholstered pieces steam cleaned. Also, is your furniture arranged against the walls? Sometimes, if space allows, floating your furniture in the middle of a room, away from the wall, can create the illusion of more space.
5. Let in the light: Natural light is on the top of the priority list for many buyers and the springtime gives you more of it to work with. Don’t leave them in the dark with window treatments that eliminate what could be one of your home’s brightest features! Have a room without windows? Consider placing more lamps around the room and have them lit while showing your home.
6. Add some fresh paint: A fresh coat of paint is always a good choice and money well spent. If you don’t have the budget to paint your entire house, consider buying a gallon or two to freshen up the trim, shutters and doors. And remember, neutral colors are key!
7. Upgrade the mailbox: If your mailbox looks out of place in your neighborhood, or is old and weathered, consider upgrading. Mailboxes might seem trivial, but they are certainly part of the overall experience when buyers drive up. A mailbox is like the first handshake—it can begin to define the character of your home. It never hurts to make a good first impression.
8. Replace old house numbers: Like your mailbox, this little detail can set the tone of what’s to come inside. Consider replacing old numbers with new ones, or, if your home has none, add some. New house numbers can make a surprising difference to the look and feel of your exterior.
9. Update light fixtures: Both interior and exterior light fixtures that are dated may deter buyers as they make the home and decor also feel outdated. Simple lighting upgrades can make your home feel newer and, if chosen wisely, won’t cost a fortune.
10. Bring in some spring flowers and plants: Consider adding some potted plants pots in a variety of staggering sizes and styles—lush green plants and annual flowers. These add a fresh pop of color and texture to your entry and life to your home.
Visit the HomeAdvantage site for more home-selling tips.
Looking for an Agent to Sell Your Home?
Selling your home doesn’t have to be hard and with the help of an expert, it can be even less stressful. Don’t forget, when you use an agent in the HomeAdvantage approved network of real estate agents when selling your house, you’ll earn Cash Rewards* equal to 20% of the agent’s commission. And you can earn even more Cash Rewards if you both sell and buy your home through HomeAdvantage.Learn More About HomeAdvantage
Free Home-Buyer Planning Session
Not quite ready to find an agent? Our free, no-obligation Home-Buyer Planning Session is a great way to learn more about the process, know what to expect, and get prepared to take your next steps. You can also feel free to reach out to us at 800.562.5515 ext. 1288 or HomeLending@SalalCU.org.Schedule a Free Home-Buyer Planning Session