Salal Credit Union

News & Updates

Seattle housing complex

Rental Assistance Resources

On June 30, the eviction moratorium came to an end. If you are having trouble locating affordable housing, senior assistance, or eviction help, this article is for you. We have collected a series of frequently asked questions and answered them below. Keep reading for more information on how to get rental assistance and resources for getting answers to your rental questions.

What is Section 8 Housing, and how do I apply?

The Housing Choice Voucher Program, or Section 8, is a Federal program that subsidizes rental costs so that low-income individuals and families have more options for safe, clean, and affordable housing. To be eligible, you must meet certain income limits based on family size. The program runs through The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and you can find a quick factsheet here. To apply, visit your nearest HUD office.

Where can I find affordable rental options?

Affordable housing rental options can be found on the USA.gov website. This website contains links for your local HUD office, as well as COVID eviction help. You can also find answers for how to get help if you believe you have been discriminated against in your search for housing. You may also want to take advantage of the Section 8 housing vouchers discussed above.

Where can I find affordable housing for seniors?

Seniors can take advantage of the resources on the USA.gov and Section 8 housing, discussed above. HUD also operates the Hope IV program. This program stands for Hope For Elderly Independence, and it is available to find resources and funding for certain low-income, frail, and elderly individuals. Contact your local HUD office for more information.

Are there any programs that assist the homeless?

Yes. Besides looking to local homeless or domestic violence shelters, those who experience homelessness can also find resources through the HUD website. This website provides links to Federal programs such as the Continuum of Care program. There are also resources for those who are disabled, veterans, and homeless as well.

How can I file an appeal for a denied rental application?

If the denial is for some other reason (such as criminal history, credit, etc.), ask for a detailed letter in writing explaining the reason for the denial, including any legal citations that the housing unit or landlord relied on making the decision. You can then write a letter of appeal directly to the landlord or rental company, asking them to reconsider and providing additional information that may help cure any of their concerns. However, unless they receive federal Section 8 funds, a private rental does not consider or grant appeals.

If it is a Section 8 denial, you can appeal directly with HUD and ask for assistance in locating another rental that will accept your voucher.

How do I qualify for a rental with limited income and bad credit?

If you have limited income and bad credit, any of the programs above can be of assistance, particularly Section 8. You should also consider looking for credit repair or credit counseling services for low-income families in your area. A quick google search for “free credit counseling” will provide you with a range of non-profit organizations that can assist you.

I am a senior, and I need to relocate closer to my family. How can I get financial or other help moving myself and my belongings?

Unfortunately, there are not many government programs that can assist with moving needs with Seniors. However, some grants and charities can assist, such as the YMCA/YWCA and Salvation Army. A local church or other community organization may also assist with funds or find volunteers to help with the move.

Other Housing Resources:

U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
451 7th Street S.W., Washington, DC 20410
Telephone: (202) 708-1112
TTY: (202) 708-1455

U.S. Office of Fair Housing And Equal Opportunity
Access information for your local region here.

Content courtesy of BALANCE.